fbpx

Author Raising Funds to Evacuate At-Risk Afghans

During the process of writing the book, she became close to an Afghan women’s rights activist who was also the director of the Afghan Women’s Fund, a non-profit organization that advocates for the rights of women in Afghanistan and establishes vocational and educational programs for them.
[additional-authors]
September 2, 2021

In 2002, author Batya Yasgur put out a memoir, “Behind the Burqa,” about two Afghan sisters who fled their country 20 years apart to avoid persecution. During the process of writing the book, she became close to an Afghan women’s rights activist who was also the director of the Afghan Women’s Fund, a non-profit organization that advocates for the rights of women in Afghanistan and establishes vocational and educational programs for them. They build schools for girls and provide medical clinics, school supplies to students and irrigation systems and wells to villages. 

Now, with the Taliban taking over, the lives of teachers and the volunteers in AWF are in danger. One member was killed, several have been attacked, the sister-in-law of a volunteer was shot and is now in a coma and many others have fled and are in hiding. Yasgur and the AWF are raising funds to evacuate 50 women and men who are at risk and bring them to the U.S.

“The Taliban penalize everyone for the ‘offenses’ of one family member,” said Yasgur, who is on the board of the AWF and the organization’s corresponding secretary. “The 50 people [we] are seeking to bring over are not just volunteers but also their spouses and children who are in danger.”

Each petition to transport these individuals to the U.S. costs either $535 or $575, depending on the category the applicant is in. Yasgur and the AWF are hoping to raise $30,000 for the members, some of whom have family in the U.S. According to Yasgur, they’re trying to find homes for the Afghans through their U.S. volunteers and supporters, as well as through family members already in the U.S. 

So far, the group has not been successful with evacuating anyone. “[The] challenges are finding sponsors and raising money for the applications,” said Yasgur. “We will also need to have money available for airfare (assuming they are approved) and to resettle them.”

She added, “There is great danger at the airport itself and in the surrounding area.”

Yasgur is passionate when it comes to writing about Afghan women and helping the individuals who are now in danger because of her own family history. 

“My mother fled Nazi Germany in 1936, together with her parents and brothers,” she said. “Perhaps it is because of her history as a refugee that I have always had an affinity with people seeking asylum from persecution.”

Along with working with the AWF, Yasgur also offered to volunteer her services as a social worker and writer for a human rights organization called Equality Now, which advocates for the human rights of women and girls around the world.

According to Yasgur, it’s important that people support the AWF in bringing their members to the U.S. for a number of reasons.

“Our government has in part contributed to the chaos and problems besetting the Afghan people now, and I believe that it is our responsibility as Americans to do whatever we can to remedy the situation.”

“Our government has in part contributed to the chaos and problems besetting the Afghan people now, and I believe that it is our responsibility as Americans to do whatever we can to remedy the situation,” she said. “As Jews, we know all too well what it means to be persecuted and I believe that we have the responsibility to help other persecuted people. And as human beings, I believe we all have a responsibility to other human beings to open our hearts, doors and wallets to bring as many people as possible to safety.”

You can make a tax-deductible donation to the Afghan Women’s Fund on their website.

Did you enjoy this article?
You'll love our roundtable.

Editor's Picks

Latest Articles

Print Issue: Got College? | Mar 29, 2024

With the alarming rise in antisemitism across many college campuses, choosing where to apply has become more complicated for Jewish high school seniors. Some are even looking at Israel.

More news and opinions than at a
Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.