fbpx

A Graduating Senior Reflects on Transitions

For me, high school is now part of my history
[additional-authors]
June 8, 2023
Meira Blinkoff Curtis Dahl Photography

It is that time of year. If you are also moving on to the next stage of your life, do you feel the electricity in the air? Are you sensing fear, anticipation, doubt or excitement?

For me, high school is now part of my history. A history that is filled with gratitude for good friends, established relationships with extraordinary and respected teachers, and the love and constant support of an amazing family.

I have come to appreciate and understand the true value of time and how precious and fleeting it is. Realizing, as my life moves forward, the people in my life are also moving forward in their own unique personal journeys.

Four years ago, I could never have imagined what it would feel like to leave behind the safety, security, and comfort I have come to find in my home and high school. 

Four years ago, I could never have imagined what it would feel like to leave behind the safety, security, and comfort I have come to find in my home and high school. Now as a graduating senior, I am nervous about the year ahead in seminary in Israel. Seminary, for those unfamiliar, is a unique experience, that typically involves a year of study in Israel as a time for spiritual growth and self-discovery while immersing oneself in the history, culture, and teachings of Judaism. Throughout my high school years the idea of attending a seminary program was always a given. It was expected that I would follow this path. Though I know how lucky I am to have this once in a lifetime opportunity, I still feel uneasy and unsure of the unknown and the changes ahead of me, because no matter how many times I tell myself change is exciting, it is still change, and change can be intimidating.

But as I contemplate my future, I remind myself that my past experiences will always be part of me. Every step I take forward is built on those lessons and experiences that have shaped me into who I am today. I have come to understand that life is about expanding. New people, new communities and new horizons that will challenge me as never before. I have questions, many questions. Questions that I intend to keep asking, as I seek answers to help me navigate who I am and how I personally fit into the Jewish people and the world around me. Me and not my parents or extended family. I will now have the ability to satisfy my own curiosity and keep the conversation going, as I explore new avenues for personal growth and independence.

And after next year? I will be continuing my academic education at Yeshiva University – Stern College for Women in New York City.

At this point in my life, though I have no definitive direction as to career choice, I plan to take a variety of classes in different fields as well as expose myself to things of interest that will hopefully stimulate and broaden my ultimate selection.

Whatever choices you consider for yourself, think about what your purpose is and know that who you surround yourself with will ultimately influence who you will become.

Wishing us all greater clarity as we transition to the next stage of our lives.

Meira Blinkoff is a graduating senior from Bais Yaakov Machon LA.

Did you enjoy this article?
You'll love our roundtable.

Editor's Picks

Latest Articles

A Bisl Torah – The Fifth Child

Perhaps, since October 7th, a fifth generation has surfaced. Young Jews determining how (not if) Jewish tradition and beliefs will play a role in their own identity and the future identities of their children.

More news and opinions than at a
Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.