fbpx

de Toledo Sophomore Medals at CIF Championship

Olivia Friedman, a sophomore at de Toledo High School, took home two medals at the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF)-Southern Section Swimming Championships in May.
[additional-authors]
June 8, 2023

Olivia Friedman, a sophomore at de Toledo High School, took home two medals at the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF)-Southern Section Swimming Championships in May. In doing so she became the first female swimmer to medal in the school’s history. De Toledo is a coed, college-preparatory Jewish high school in the West Hills. 

“Olivia stands tall as a shining example of a dedicated athlete and hard-working student who exemplifies the values of our school,” said Mark Shpall, de Toledo’s head of school.

At CIF-Southern Section, Friedman placed 7th in the 100-yard Backstroke with a time of 1:07:93 and placed 8th in the 200-yard Individual Medley with a time of 2:33:51. After making qualifying times, more than 140 girls teams competed in the Division 4 meet, held at Riverside City College Aquatic Center. “I’m thrilled to be the first female in school history to medal at CIFs, but couldn’t have done this without the support of my coach, teammates and school,” Friedman told the Journal. “I’m excited about the future and the next season.” 

Friedman began swimming in 5th grade, which she said is actually a little late for a top-flight swimmer. “She worked hard and quickly caught up and even surpassed many of her teammates,” her mother, Erica, told the Journal.

During COVID, Friedman trained by swimming in her backyard pool, tied to a bungee cord and holding a weighted ball treading water while a coach would join to watch her via zoom. She would also travel to Marina Del Rey at 5:30 in the morning to swim with a former Olympic gold medalist, Mike Alexandrov, who would train her prior to school. “Olivia would zoom into class on her way driving back to Calabasas so she would not miss any classes,” Erica said. “She currently trains with CLASS Aquatics out of Oaks Christian.” Most weeks, Olivia would put in “12 hours plus in the pool … Working hard has made me realize the results will come. Having patience and trusting the process is key.”

School officials said this year’s de Toledo’s girls’ team, under the direction of varsity swim coach Laura Reardon, has been the best in the school’s 20- year history. Earlier in the season, de Toledo High came in 2nd place in the Liberty League Team Championships, edging out Buckley School. At that competition, Friedman placed first for 100-yard Backstroke with a time of 1:08:94; Friedman carried de Toledo High School to place first among the Liberty League teams at CIF SS. “Her hard work and dedication throughout the season helped her achieve new best times,” Reardon said. “Olivia is a pleasure to coach.” Friedman said swimming has taught her focus and discipline. “I try to apply this mindset to school and everything else I do,” she said. “It has guided me and made me a better student and better person.”

Friedman is a member of Temple Aliyah, where she had her Bat Mitzvah in 2019. Last summer, she traveled through Israel where she connected with Jewish history and rekindled her love of Judaism.

A member of the National Honor Society and a Red Cross Certified lifeguard, Friedman also participated in the 2022 Maccabi Games in San Diego, where she medaled in eight events.

A member of the National Honor Society and a Red Cross Certified lifeguard, Friedman also participated in the 2022 Maccabi Games in San Diego, where she medaled in eight events. She will be returning to Fort Lauderdale for the 2023 Maccabi games this summer. 

Swimming has given Friedman the foundation to thrive as an athlete, student and leader. 

“Swimming centers me,” she said.

Did you enjoy this article?
You'll love our roundtable.

Editor's Picks

Latest Articles

More news and opinions than at a
Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.