fbpx

Ryan Turell: Wearing His Judaism On The Basketball Court

Turell’s commitment to Judaism shows in how he plays and how he thinks.
[additional-authors]
January 5, 2022
Ryan Turell (Photo by Joe Bednarsh

It’s not often a high school basketball star turns down full-scholarship offers from major universities in favor of a Jewish university better known for its academics than athletics, while paying full tuition for the honor.

But then again there aren’t many students like Ryan Turell, a senior at Yeshiva University (YU) and star of the school’s Maccabees (Macs) basketball team.

The Macs have garnered major media attention over the past several months due to their 50-game win streak over the past two seasons in NCAA Division III basketball, and their 14-0 record this season. However, the seemingly unbeatable team met their match on Dec. 30, when Illinois Wesleyan University denied YU a 51st consecutive win by beating them 73-59 in a packed house at YU’s Max Stern Athletic Center.

Longtime residents of Valley Village, The Turell family, with parents Brad and Laurel and children, Jack, 26; Austin, 25 (daughter), and Ryan, 22, maintain an Orthodox Jewish lifestyle that the parents instilled in their children. The family belongs to Shaare Zedek Congregation with the three children having received Jewish day school educations at Emek Hebrew Academy and Valley Torah High School.

The 6-foot 7-inch guard made the sole decision to attend YU, which was not necessarily the first choice of his parents. As his father said, “When I asked him why he would pass up a full scholarship offer from Division I programs to attend YU, he replied, ‘why then did you send me to Emek and Valley Torah?’”

“I feel like I am representing the Jewish people. I think it’s important that Jewish athletes wear a yarmulke when they play and be proud of where they came from and know who they are.” – Ryan Turell

Turell’s commitment to Judaism shows in how he plays and how he thinks. “Every time I wear a yarmulke on the court, I know I am not just playing for myself,” Turell said. “I feel like I am representing the Jewish people. I think it’s important that Jewish athletes wear a yarmulke when they play and be proud of where they came from and know who they are.” 

Turell’s basketball skills have caught the attention of NBA scouts, a major achievement in and of itself. So far eight NBA teams have either come to see him play, requested video or spoken to his coaches about him. The proud father says his son is, “definitely a prospect, probably top 100.” While only 60 players get drafted and about 100 sign with teams to play either in the NBA or the G league (its minor league), competition is fierce. But his parents believe in their son’s pro basketball prospects. “Ryan has a skillset (shooting) that is in high demand and he has NBA size. We are confident he will either be drafted or signed by an NBA team,” they said in a joint statement.

The young basketball star is well aware of the challenges he would face should he have the opportunity to play professional basketball. Keeping Shabbat and kosher while playing games on the road is something that he has confidence can be worked out. “I first would talk to my rabbis to make sure I do everything according to Jewish law,” he said. “I would plan to stay walking distance to the gyms for practice, but I would never travel on Shabbat and of course keep strictly kosher on the road, which shouldn’t be a problem.”

Turell cites Kobe Bryant as his primary basketball hero while growing up. “My whole life I was a huge Lakers fan,” he said. “Watching Kobe’s demeanor and his work ethic really inspired me.” Even more important, he cites his father as his life role model with both his parents being his biggest fans, attending every game. 

Playing against schools around the country where Jewish students might be few and far between, and where Zionism is often under attack, Turell admits to having experienced some antisemitism on the court and from fans as the team travels to various cities. “Thankfully, it has not been a lot,” he said. “But when it happens, I just take it out on the court and finish the game with a win. I let the game do the talking.”

YU’s Jewish pride and support for Zionism goes beyond players wearing their yarmulkes on the court. When competing on home court, the crowd sings Hatikvah immediately after the Star Spangled Banner at the start of the game.

Turell is a marketing major with plans to navigate a career in real estate and professional basketball, “B’ezrat HaShem” (with God’s help), he is quick to add. He also one day hopes to open a training camp to help Jewish kids hone their athletic skills. 

Right now he is taking it one game at a time and knows that he has the ability, if not a responsibility, to serve as a role model for other Jewish kids who love both their religion and athletics. “Ultimately, Judaism is my life,” he said. “It’s a part of who I am. I will never let that go. I want to show other Jewish kids that they can remain true to themselves and at the same time be anything they want to be.”

Did you enjoy this article?
You'll love our roundtable.

Editor's Picks

Latest Articles

Who Does Yom HaZikaron Belong To?

Is it a day for the martyred, a time to be honored and remembered? Or is it a day for us, the living, to immerse ourselves in grief and memory?

More news and opinions than at a
Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.