The story of Jonah and the whale, which is customarily shared on Yom Kippur, makes us think of our own spiritual voyage and the need for repentance. Because that’s a lesson we could use year-round, here’s a fun and easy Jonah and the Whale picture frame that doubles as a refrigerator magnet. In the opening, you can insert your own photo, taking Jonah’s place. And because this goes on the refrigerator, it’s also a reminder during Yom Kippur to step back — you’re in the middle of a fast.
What you’ll need:
Blue craft foam sheet or cardstock
1. Fold a blue craft foam sheet or a piece of cardstock in half. Draw a whale shape on top. You can make it any size you want; I made my whale about five inches.
2. Using your whale drawing as a template, cut through both layers of the craft foam or cardstock to create two identically shaped whales.
3. In one of the whale shapes, cut a hole in the middle. This will be the hole for the frame.
4. Using a glue stick, adhere the whale shape with the hole on top of the second whale. Do not apply the glue stick at the top, as you want to be able to insert a photo later.
5. Add a googly eye with the glue stick and draw a smile. If you don’t have a googly eye, you can draw the eye.
6. Place an adhesive-backed magnet on the back, and place your whale picture frame on the refrigerator.
Jonathan Fong is the author of “Flowers That Wow” and “Parties That Wow,” and host of “Style With a Smile” on YouTube. You can see more of his do-it-yourself projects at jonathanfongstyle.com.