fbpx

Rabbi Jon Hanish, The Storytelling Rabbi

In his own sermons, Hanish uses storytelling techniques he learned in film school and show business to reach his congregants.
[additional-authors]
May 5, 2022
Rabbi Jon Hanish

Rabbi Jon Hanish always wanted to be a filmmaker or a rabbi. Now, the former filmmaker and current rabbi of Kol Tikvah in Woodland Hills can say he’s gotten to do both.

The Louisville, Kentucky native, who was involved in the North American Federation for Temple Youth and B’nai Brith Youth Organization when he was growing up, earned an undergraduate degree in Comparative Religious Studies and Film History from Wesleyan University. He then went on to the USC School of Cinematic Arts, where he got a Master of Fine Arts. 

“When I wanted to go to film school, all my friends said ‘Jon, you’re going to be a rabbi,’” Hanish said. “But when you get into USC film school or rabbinic school, you go to film school because it seems a lot more exciting when you’re 23 years old.” 

In film school, Hanish would stay connected to his Judaism by attending events at USC Hillel and throwing Passover seders. 

“I kept my involvement going,” he said. “Whenever my friends wanted to cast a rabbi in their films, they’d cast me, because I was the person who was the most knowledgeable about Judaism.” 

After graduation, Hanish ended up working in the film industry for a number of years as an executive producer, writer and founder of a post-production facility. Though he enjoyed it, he knew when he was in his early 40’s that he wanted to finally pursue his interests in the rabbinate. 

He was ordained at Hebrew Union College and worked as the assistant rabbi at Kehillat Israel in the Pacific Palisades. There, he first combined his love of storytelling with his passion for Judaism. Along with screenwriter Alex Litvak, he started a program that paired screenwriters with rabbis – the writers helped the rabbis format their sermons to make them more accessible to congregants. 

“The rabbis put their egos aside and learned how to tell their messages more effectively,” said Hanish. “The writers learned more about Judaism and how difficult a rabbi’s job is.” 

When he started at Kol Tikvah 11 years ago, he came up with other ways for people to express themselves through writing and storytelling. He currently runs a writers’ workshop for congregants to get together, put their thoughts on paper and give each other critiques. 

“Writing is a great way to get people to share with one another,” Hanish said. “When you have an assignment, you have to write something, because you can’t show up to a workshop empty-handed. And when you share, you get emotional and technical responses. The comments for the classmates are powerful.”

Some of the writing that the congregants did ended up in a Yizkor book for the synagogue. 

“We shared our experiences with mourning,” Hanish said. “People wrote poetry or little pieces of prose.”

In his own sermons, Hanish uses storytelling techniques he learned in film school and show business to reach his congregants. During the last High Holidays season, his eruv Rosh Hashanah sermon was a story he wrote.

“You can pull people together through a good story, whether you’re writing a screenplay or giving a sermon.”

“I also write things where I push people to take action,” he said. “And there are other times when I write things because I want people to reflect. You can pull people together through a good story, whether you’re writing a screenplay or giving a sermon.”

There is one major difference between his former and his current life, however: When the rabbi would write screenplays, one person might read it. However, with a sermon, he gets feedback from many. 

“I see how people react,” he said. “I have a larger audience to share a sermon or an idea with.”  

Whether he’s putting his thoughts on paper, running a writing group or giving a sermon, Hanish hopes he’s having an inspiring effect on people’s lives.

“The goal is to help people,” he said. “If I get the overall sense I’m helping my community, it’s not an end goal, but a continuous goal.”

Fast Takes with Jon Hanish

Jewish Journal: What’s your favorite Jewish food?

Jon Hanish: Homemade gefilte fish. I make my own. When I serve it, people say, “Oh my gosh, this actually tastes good.” 

JJ: What’s your favorite movie?

JH: “They Live by Night.” It’s film noir.

JJ: What does your perfect Shabbat look like?

JH: An evening where we have large numbers of people coming to the temple and we have to chase people away at the end of the night. 

JJ: Where is the best place to hang out in LA?

JH: My garden in my backyard.

JJ: What are you growing right now?

JH: Tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, zucchini, potatoes, strawberries, bell peppers. You name it, I’m probably growing it. 

Did you enjoy this article?
You'll love our roundtable.

Editor's Picks

Latest Articles

More news and opinions than at a
Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.