fbpx

Masa Fellows Convene for Leadership Summit in Israel

Fellows came from all around the world, including the United States, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Russia, Australia, Canada and Brazil.
[additional-authors]
February 2, 2022
Jon Paul Puno (Photo courtesy of Masa)

During the last week of December, 140 fellows from Masa – a program that offers immersive experiences in Israel to young Jewish professionals – gathered on the outskirts of Jerusalem for a five-day seminar training called the Wilf Leadership Summit. There, they learned about developing their leadership capabilities as well as challenges and opportunities that are facing Israel today. 

Fellows came from all around the world, including the United States, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Russia, Australia, Canada and Brazil. One of the Fellows, Daniella Masrour, who is from Los Angeles, is now working in Israel in the business development department at fitness tech startup Hygear. She’s been there for the past five months. 

Daniella Masrour (Photo courtesy of Masa)

“At the Wilf Summit, I discovered the importance of adaptivity and quick thinking in leadership,” she said. “The diverse and empowering group of speakers and facilitators drove me to step out of my comfort zone and realize leadership potential I never knew I had. I also delved deep into my Jewish background, hearing about the different traditions and stories of my peers from across the globe.”

Right now, there are more than 8,000 Masa Fellows in Israel participating in long-term educational experiences. Thousands more are expected to arrive later in the programming year. The Fellows spend a year working in Israel as well as exploring the country through Masa Israel Journey, which was founded by the Government of Israel and The Jewish Agency. 

At the Summit, Fellows learned the Adaptive Leadership framework developed by the Harvard Kennedy School and went on exposure visits in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.

Here is the future of global Jewish leadership all in one place.

“The Masa Wilf Leadership Summit is no ordinary convening,” Masa CEO Ofer Gutman said. “This expansive program gathers some of the brightest and most curious minds from around the world that come from different Masa programs to advance a crucial mission. Here is the future of global Jewish leadership all in one place.”

The Summit included speakers giving TED Talk-esque presentations about leadership, breakout small group discussions and a talent component, where Fellows were encouraged to show off their talents or lead a workshop. Jon Paul Puno, who is also from L.A., got up and sang.

“As a professionally trained classical singer, I offered to sing some of my favorite pieces of Jewish music,” he said. “I was amazed at all the people who showed up for my performance, and they even sang ‘Happy Birthday’ to me since it was my birthday that week. [It] really felt like we were one big mishpacha.”

A graduate of the University of Southern California and a former community leader for the City of Beverly Hills, Puno now lives in Tel Aviv and is a producer at i24NEWS and intern with Destination Israel. 

“I learned to be more assertive and speak my mind [at the Summit],” said Puno. “In the sessions, they encouraged us to be comfortable being uncomfortable. I guess it’s kind of like how Israeli society is. They’re not afraid to tell you the truth [and] what they actually think.”

For Masrour and Puno, the Summit, and the Masa Fellows program in general, have taught them valuable lessons they’ll carry with them throughout their lives.

“Living like a local in Tel Aviv has changed my life in so many remarkable ways, and I can’t wait to apply the skills I’ve learned to my future endeavors,” Masrour said.

Puno echoed a similar sentiment. “It was always my dream to live in Israel and it was my other dream to work at a news station, and Masa made that happen for me,” he said. “I love Israel even more, and I plan to stay.”

Did you enjoy this article?
You'll love our roundtable.

Editor's Picks

Latest Articles

Print Issue: Breaking Barriers | May 17, 2024

In their new book, “Uncomfortable Conversations with a Jew,” Emmanuel Acho and Noa Tishby bring their vastly different perspectives to examine the complex subject of antisemitism in America today.

More news and opinions than at a
Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.