fbpx

Akiva Gersh Organizes Vegan Food for Soldiers

Akiva Gersh, known as the Vegan Rabbi, is spearheading an initiative to distribute fresh, healthy, kosher vegan meals for IDF soldiers on the front lines.
[additional-authors]
October 19, 2023
Akiva Gersh (Photo by Tamar Gersh)

Akiva Gersh, known as the Vegan Rabbi, is spearheading an initiative to distribute fresh, healthy, kosher vegan meals for IDF soldiers on the front lines.

“During times of war, especially in the first days of either war itself or preparation for war, many soldiers are called up; in this case over 300,000 soldiers,” Gersh told the Journal. ”There is a large need to feed them.”

Plenty of food is provided, and, Gersh says, the nation comes out like a family to help.

“As much food is getting sent to the soldiers, and there’s a lot, there are many vegans who are … eating out of cans,” Gersh said. “Why shouldn’t they have great, amazing food, or at least diversity of food.”

Gersh is working with Yogalach, a local vegan bakery and cafe, in Pardes Hanna, where Gersh lives.

“I’m doing the fundraising, and they’re doing the cooking,” Gersh said. “We’ve become a great team.”

Gersh says Yogalach’s meals are the same as someone would have on their family’s dinner or Shabbat table.

“Yogev Dror, who runs the bakery and cafe is Iraqi, and he knows how to just cook with spice and taste and color,” Gersh said. “The first time I walked into the kitchen, the first day we were doing this together, I was blown away.”

Gersh and others distribute the food around Israel. Every day, hundreds of fully prepared meals, as well as snacks, are going out to soldiers at their bases and on the front lines.

Photo by Akiva Gersh

“We’re also getting vegan meals to non-vegan soldiers, because they’re probably some of the best meals that are being served right now,” Gersh said.

Gersh, who started his @VeganRabbi pages about two and a half, three years ago, gets tagged on social media and sent messages via Whatsapp, letting him know of vegan soldiers who need food.

For instance, ‘There’s a vegan soldier in a base in the North, and he’s got barely anything to eat. Can you get him some food?’ Or ‘My son is going to his base tomorrow, and he’s vegan, and he’s worried about what he’s going to eat. Is there any way you can get him some food?’

“Just yesterday someone sent me a screenshot of an Instagram story where a woman put out to the public: ‘My husband’s vegan. He’s a soldier on a base and he needs more vegan food. Can anyone help him?’” Gersh said.

The response, from those giving and receiving, has been tremendous.

“It’s happening in a very grassroots, word-of-mouth kind of way,” Gersh said. “It’s also important to highlight the fact that every single shekel or dime that gets raised is going straight … into this effort to get more food to the soldiers.”

Photo by Akiva Gersh

Gersh said he feels humbled, proud and honored to be the point person for vegan meals for soldiers.

The Journal asked Gersh how this effort came about.

“I was a bit shell-shocked on Sunday and into Monday,” Gersh said. “For about a day and a half I was glued to my phone and just ingesting stories and updates and videos; it was really intense.”

Then, Gersh said, something just clicked.

“I ingested enough and now … I need to spring into action,” he said.

Gersh was trying to figure out how to help when, “it felt like an idea from the [came] sky right into my head,” he said.

He put up his first couple of posts – one on Facebook, one Instagram – and people started giving immediately.

“I called upon those who follow my pages to pitch in and support – what they can, how they can, this effort of getting Vegan meals to Vegan soldiers,” Gersh said. “And it just keeps going.”

He adds, “It’s really amazing to see people’s love and generosity.”

If you want to help out, you can send donations via PayPal or Zelle to akivagersh@yahoo.com. Those in Israel can donate via Bit or Paybox to 052-327-0723.

And if you are or know a soldier in need of vegan meals, connect with @VeganRabbi on Instagram or Facebook.

Did you enjoy this article?
You'll love our roundtable.

Editor's Picks

Latest Articles

More news and opinions than at a
Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.