fbpx

A New Year’s Message

Consul General Bachar has just arrived in Los Angeles to begin his tenure as Israel’s Senior Representative to the Pacific Southwest Region.
[additional-authors]
September 14, 2023
Carol Yepes/Getty Images

As we begin a New Year, I am very excited to begin my role as Consul General of the State of Israel, especially as we welcome the High Holy Days. 

I am very aware I am also celebrating a new and exciting beginning. I arrived from Israel just a few weeks ago.  I left the company I have built over the past 20 years and a fairly busy career in order to fulfill an important personal mission. 

It is a mission that I hope to fulfill together with the Los Angeles community and the region.

As the New Year descends upon us and spreads its wings over us, I look forward to new beginnings, growth and renewal.  The beginning of a Jewish year is a thoughtful time, accompanied by setting shared positive goals. We also reflect, repent and renew, aiming to heal the past and build a better future together.

I know this esteemed Jewish community in the Western region holds great influence when it comes to Israel-US relations and are wonderful ambassadors for the State of Israel.  I believe that here, in the western United States, lies immense potential to do great things.  I look forward to implementing initiatives and projects that will shine a light and reinvigorate the treasures that are so dear to us, our Jewish identity and the existence of a state Israel. I believe, for success moving forward we must pull upon all our resources and unite.

In recent years, we proudly pointed out — in front of the whole world — the rapid growth of the State of Israel in all fields: economy, industry, research and technology.

But at the same time, it’s no secret that the last year has been a difficult challenge for us. A fierce debate erupted between parts of Israeli society. Unfortunately, this bitter debate went beyond the boundaries of politics and at times has even seemed to threaten to divide society as a whole.

As Jews and Israelis, disputes are not a novelty for us; they have been there almost since we became a people, throughout history. Sometimes it is precisely from these disputes that the unique character of our people has been forged. 

One of the most significant and emotional moments of the Holy Days is the blowing of the shofar. In the ancient tradition of the Jewish people, it symbolizes a call to the entire nation to unite and gather around an important goal.

I ask all of us this year to really stop, reflect and listen to the shofar’s call. A huge responsibility and weighty role is placed on our shoulders at this time. Those of us who are here in the U.S., even in these tumultuous times, can aspire to continue to serve as ambassadors of our amazing people and our beloved country. I want to work on building a better future and a more peaceful year with you, side by side.

We, the staff of the Consulate will do our part as much as we can, as much as it takes, with all the tools at our disposal to empower and work with the Jewish community in Los Angeles and our region.

My brothers and sisters, I would like to wish you from the bottom of my heart, on my behalf, on behalf of my family, on behalf of the State of Israel and on behalf of the entire consulate staff – a happy and sweet New Year, a year of love and growth.

Consul General Bachar has just arrived in Los Angeles to begin his tenure as Israel’s Senior Representative to the Pacific Southwest Region.

Did you enjoy this article?
You'll love our roundtable.

Editor's Picks

Latest Articles

Print Issue: Breaking Barriers | May 17, 2024

In their new book, “Uncomfortable Conversations with a Jew,” Emmanuel Acho and Noa Tishby bring their vastly different perspectives to examine the complex subject of antisemitism in America today.

More news and opinions than at a
Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.