fbpx
Sunday, April 5, 2020

SpaceIL’s Kfir Damari Looks to the Stars and Beyond

Enjoying this article?

You'll love our roundtable.

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Jewish Journal, 3250 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA, 90010, http://www.jewishjournal.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

Three engineers walk into a bar.

It may sound like the beginning of a joke, but in 2010, 25-year-old electrical engineer Kfir Damari met friends Yariv Bash and Yonatan Winetraub at a bar in Holon to discuss sending an Israeli spacecraft to the moon. 

- Advertisement -

“When we sat down, it was to see if there [was] some kind of logical plan to make it happen,” Damari told the Journal. “The concept started from an international competition called the Google Lunar XPrize, which prompted Yariv to write the Facebook post: ‘Who wants to go to the moon?’ The idea was that you had to land an unmanned, privately funded spacecraft on the moon. This led to the creation of SpaceIL.”

At the time, the three friends thought the entire operation would cost $8 million and take two years. In the end, it ended up costing $100 million and took nine years. This led to a historic moment for Israel on Feb. 22, when SpaceIL launched its lunar lander Beresheet (Hebrew for “In the beginning”) at Cape Canaveral, Fla. Unfortunately, on April 11, the spacecraft suffered a last-minute failure during its descent and crashed on the moon. “I like to say that Israel was the first country in history that had the chutzpah to try to land the first time in getting to the moon,” Damari said.

Growing up, Damari was never one of those kids who looked up at the stars and dreamed of traveling to space. “I started [computer] programming at the age of 6, wrote my first virus at 11,” he said. “Even as an adult, most of my professional life was more in cybersecurity and computer networks. I actually only got into the whole concept of space through SpaceIL.”

After completing his Israeli army service in an elite intelligence corps focusing on cybersecurity, Damari obtained degrees in communication systems engineering at Ben-Gurion University, which is where he met Bash and Winetraub. 

“After SpaceIL’s moon landing, parents and educators came up to me and told me that their kids or grandchildren started crying, and this led to deep conversations on the meaning of success and that in order to succeed, you need to overcome a lot of challenges.” — Kfir Damari

The three raised the $50,000 Lunar XPrize registration fee in six weeks, with the help of the Israel Space Agency and Israel Aerospace Industries, and submitted preliminary blueprints of the spacecraft just in time for the competition’s deadline.

- Advertisement -

Israeli billionaire entrepreneur Morris Kahn, who went on to become SpaceIL’s chairman, donated more than $43 million to the project. 

Over the years, SpaceIL moved from an office at Tel Aviv University to Yehud, home of the Israel Aerospace Industries space facility. The three-man startup developed into a core group of 100 people and more than 100 active volunteers. For Damari, the biggest challenge was not only building a spacecraft but inspiring the next generation in Israel and around the world to think differently about science and technology. 

“Kids were the ones who were really inspired by this,” Damari said. “When we were doing lectures, you could see the sparks of wonder in their eyes. What actually made SpaceIL work were those kids going to their parents and telling them that they heard an amazing story that an Israeli spacecraft is going to the moon.” 

That enthusiasm led to SpaceIL creating an educational department, which had more than a million kids volunteering over eight years, mostly in Israel but also in New York and Los Angeles. 

The liftoff of the first nongovernmental mission to the moon, and the first to use a commercial launch, was watched live by tens of thousands of people on Facebook and YouTube. “I think we were working to make that happen,” Damari said. “The biggest goal wasn’t getting to the moon, it was the impact on Earth. It really inspired people worldwide beyond our imagination.” 

- Advertisement -

Even though Beresheet crash-landed on the moon, Damari believes he and his colleagues were successful in their mission. 

“In a way, you can say that we hard landed, not soft landed, but if you look at the broader vision, I think that was what we actually were able to get amazing results with,” Damari said. “After the landing, parents and educators came up to me and told me that their kids or grandchildren started crying, and this led to deep conversations on the meaning of success and that in order to succeed, you need to overcome a lot of challenges. So from an educational perspective, it was actually a better outcome and impact.”

Aside from SpaceIL, Damari also is the co-founder of TabooKey, a cybersecurity startup. Between the launch and the landing, the CEO of SpaceIL asked Damari to come back full time to help SpaceIL move to the next phase after reaching the moon. Now, in conjunction with TabooKey, Damari is also the vice president of education for SpaceIL.

“We now have escape rooms in both Israel and the States where families are faced with challenges needed to get a spacecraft ready for launch,” Damari said. “Today we are looking at building another spacecraft, and I am very excited for the opportunity to take a nanosatellite and release it around the moon and have the first Israeli orbiter around the moon.”  

- Advertisement -

Enjoyed this article?

You'll love our email updates.

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Jewish Journal, http://www.jewishjournal.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact
- Advertisement -

Popular Articles

Table for Five: Passover

One verse, five voices.

Pop Star Pink, Having Recovered From COVID-19, Donates $1M to Fight Disease

Jewish pop star Pink and her 3-year-old son have recovered from the coronavirus, she announced on Twitter. She and her son Jameson were sheltering at...

Jewish High School Donates 2,000 N95 Masks to Medical Centers

Shortly after de Toledo High School closed on March 10 because of the COVID-19 pandemic and moved to virtual learning, Head of School Mark...

Outsiders ‘Zoombomb’ Yeshiva University President With Anti-Semitic Material During Speech

Outsiders disrupted Yeshiva University President Ari Berman’s March 31 speech to the student body on the video conference platform Zoom with anti-Semitic material. According to...

The Shock and Fear of Coronavirus Differs for All of Us

In a stunning turn of history, a tiny virus has united humanity. Suddenly, every human is fighting the same enemy. Tribal and sectarian rivalries...

We Must Unite In Israel’s New Coalition! (So We Can Separate)

The Hebrew word for coalition is “Ya’chdah” — from the word “Ya’chad.” Together. A coalition of parties is supposed to find a sense of...

President Trump Should Not Depend on ‘Guidelines’ to Save America, But Lock It Down

In the shadow of the Lincoln Memorial, a boisterous boy named Elliott darted away from his parents as they pushed their two younger sons...

As An Asian Israeli, The Coronavirus Has Awakened Me to Our Racism

On Feb. 16, a young Taiwanese woman posted on the popular Facebook group Secret Tel Aviv that she was riding her bicycle and a...

The Story of Orphaned Holocaust Survivors: ‘The Windermere Children’

Several books and films have told the story of the 10,000 Jewish children who were spirited out of Europe during World War II on...

Coronavirus Cinema: Where to Watch Free Movies and Series at Home

Although movie theaters are closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, digital screening rooms are open for business, offering the self-isolating public new and catalog...

Socially Distant Bagels Seeking Roses Amid Thorns

Zooming from different parts of Los Angeles, Erin and Esther look to pop culture for strength. After remembering songwriter Adam Schlesinger ("Crazy Ex-Girlfriend", "That...

Climate Activism Will Stop the Next Pandemic

“Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains.” So begins Jean-Jacques Rousseau’s book “The Social Contract.” I’ve been thinking about that line...

Pandemic Times Episode 14: Courtney Mizel on Testing Positive for COVID-19

New David Suissa Podcast Every Morning at 11am. What's it like to catch the virus? How do you deal with friends and family? Courtney Mizel takes...

COVID-19 and the American Jewish Economic Crisis

American Jewry is facing a financial and structural crisis. The economic impact of the coronavirus pandemic will be devastating to the American Jewish communal...

Keir Starmer, Vows to Fight Anti-Semitism, Replaces Jeremy Corbyn As Britain’s Labour Party Leader

A British lawmaker who has said that he supports Zionism will replace Jeremy Corbyn as the head of Britain’s Labour Party. Keir Starmer, who managed...

Culture

Larry David Says Bernie Sanders Should Drop Out of Presidential Race

Larry David, the Bernie Sanders doppelganger who often portrays the presidential candidate in skits on “Saturday Night Live,” says the senator from Vermont should...

Pop Star Pink, Having Recovered From COVID-19, Donates $1M to Fight Disease

Jewish pop star Pink and her 3-year-old son have recovered from the coronavirus, she announced on Twitter. She and her son Jameson were sheltering at...

Psychiatrist Documents The Reality of Mental Health Illness in ‘Bedlam’

According the PBS “Independent Lens” documentary “Bedlam,” there are 15 million American families living with serious mental illness. For psychiatrist and filmmaker Dr. Kenneth...

Meet The Orthodox Jewish Mom Who Became LA’s Go-To Jewish Artist

Los Angeles artist Aliza Marton was raised in an artistic family. But after she got married, she focused on raising her own family and...

Forgot How Good ‘The Prince of Egypt’ Is? Well, Now It’s On Hulu.

Social distancing and staying inside is hard. Thankfully, accessing good things to watch during this time is not. This is the first installation of...

Trending Right Now
Trending

Comedian Stephen Glickman Brings Laughter During Pandemic

At a time when comedy clubs are closed and there’s not a lot to laugh about, stand-up comic Stephen Kramer Glickman has released a...

‘When They Come for Us, We’ll Be Gone’— 10 Years Later

In this Passover season, we are reminded of the more recent “Let My People Go” in Jewish history — that of the rallying cry...

Confronting Passover in Absence of Community

The very essence Passover is based on an understanding that it is spent in the company of others. The concept of someone spending the...

Ripple Effect: Insanity

My daughter and I started doing a daily workout routine called Insanity. I cannot think of anything more appropriate for this crazy time than doing...

The Sacred Space of Light

Many have suggested that we view COVID-19 as a test — of our resilience, unity, ability to restore our best selves. As a Manhattanite...

Hollywood

Larry David Says Bernie Sanders Should Drop Out of Presidential Race

Larry David, the Bernie Sanders doppelganger who often portrays the presidential candidate in skits on “Saturday Night Live,” says the senator from Vermont should...

‘On the Map’ Free Online Screening and Q&A This Sunday

The documentary “On the Map” tells the story of the underdog Israeli basketball team’s triumphant victory at the European championship in 1977. Set against...

‘Frozen’ at the Pantages: It Doesn’t Have to Be Jewish

Let’s face it, there’s nothing particularly Jewish about the Disney musical “Frozen.” Unless you count Idina Menzel and Josh Gad, both of whom appeared...
- Advertisement -

Podcasts

Prof. Yair Zakovitch and Prof. Avigdor Shinan: The Song of Songs Scroll

Shmuel Rosner, Professor Yair Zakovitch and Professor Avigdor Shinan discuss their new book - The Song of Songs Scroll, a New Israeli Commentary. Prof. Yair...

Pandemic Times Episode 15: Rabbi Lori Shapiro on finding light in darkness

New David Suissa Podcast Every Morning at 11am. Founder of Open Temple in Venice Beach, Rabbi Lori Shapiro shares words of wisdom on navigating this...

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Jewish Journal, http://www.jewishjournal.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact