fbpx

Getting Back To Basics – Rabbi Barry Gelman

[additional-authors]
October 27, 2009

Sometimes I wonder if the term Modern Orthodox serves as a hurdle for greater and more inspired religious growth. I am not questioning the philosophy of Modern Orthodoxy, I am concerned that the term Modern Orthodoxy is used to support a standard of living that is less than optimal.
Part of the issue is that many Modern Orthodox Jews have chosen a few key definition points on which they stake their entire identity.  Examples of this include: saying hallel on Yom Ha’atzmaut (with a bracha, w/o a bracha), wearing a knitted kippah, academic scholarship, relationships with the non orthodox and the non orthodox movements, attaining acceptance to the best universities, and women’s issues.
Do not get me wrong, all of the above mentioned issues are very important and deserve attention, but by focusing so much energy on these issues, and by making them the points by which Modern Orthodoxy defines itself, we often lose sight on the nuts and bolts of Judaism.
In order for Modern Orthodoxy to thrive, to be taken seriously and to survive with integrity, we must be focused on our commitments to Torah study, teffila and adherence to halacha, including the precise details of Halacha.
We often talk about not being defensive and not “looking over our right shoulder” when justifying our philosophy. It seems to me that people get defensive when they are hiding something or are not particularly sure of themselves.
Perhaps instead of telling each other not to be defensive, we need to take a good look at ourselves and put in place the tools, communal expectations and ideals that would give us the confidence to declare that we are Modern Orthodox and proud of it.

Did you enjoy this article?
You'll love our roundtable.

Editor's Picks

Latest Articles

Why Are Presidential Statements About Jews So Weak?

“I condemn the antisemitic protests,” President Biden said on April 22. For some reason, he felt compelled to add: “I also condemn those who don’t understand what’s going on with the Palestinians.”

More news and opinions than at a
Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.