fbpx

Israel Solidarity Gatherings Held at Beth Jacob and Cedars-Sinai

On Monday, Oct. 9, hundreds of people gathered at Beth Jacob Congregation and Cedars-Sinai in separate solidarity events for Israel.
[additional-authors]
October 11, 2023
Photo by Daniel Lobell

On Monday, Oct. 9, hundreds of people gathered at Beth Jacob Congregation and Cedars-Sinai in separate solidarity events for Israel.

“We’ve come together as a united community to connect with one another, to connect with Israel and am Israel.” – Rabbi Kalman Topp

“We’ve come together as a united community to connect with one another, to connect with Israel and am Israel,” said Rabbi Kalman Topp, the senior rabbi at Beth Jacob, in a speech at Beth Jacob’s “Evening of Tefillah, Tehillim & Solidarity.” “[We] grieve for the many lives lost. [We] grapple with the unfathomable agony and suffering that the hostages must be experiencing at this time. [We] daven for their safety and pray that Hashem gives the IDF, the security forces [and] all of am Yisrael strength and shalom.” 

The Beth Jacob event was co-sponsored by a number of local synagogues and schools including Young Israel of Century City, YULA, Shalhevet, Adas Torah, Knesset Israel, Pico Shul and Link Kollel. 

LA’s new Consul General of Israel to the Pacific Southwest Israel Bachar, who also spoke at Beth Jacob, said, “When I imagined speaking to this wonderful congregation for the first time, I didn’t think my heart would be heavy, my spirit wounded. Instead, I’m representing the state of Israel on its darkest day in modern history. The day should have been the joyful holiday of Simchat Torah. Instead, it became a day of tragic sorrow.”

Bachar continued, calling Hamas’ attacks “a crime against humanity.”

Attendees and speakers said Tehillim together, praying for swift and speedy recovery for the victims. 

Photo courtesy Cedars-Sinai

Earlier in the day, Cedars-Sinai held a solidarity event for Israel led by Rabbi Dr. Jason Weiner, senior rabbi and director of the Spiritual Care Department. Over 100 employees were in attendance; the room was packed and the crowd overflowed into the hallway. Another 300 people tuned in virtually. 

Everyone recited psalms, and Cantor Nati Baram sang “Hatikva” and said a prayer for Israeli soldiers and Jewish captives. Weiner talked about the importance of tzedaka for Israel, Torah study, prayer and solidarity to help Israel and cope with difficult times.

“It was important to come together in a place of healing and caring for the vulnerable to express our fears and hopes,” said Weiner. “It was especially poignant at a Jewish hospital founded to combat antisemitism.”

Did you enjoy this article?
You'll love our roundtable.

Editor's Picks

Latest Articles

More news and opinions than at a
Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.