fbpx

Jewish Groups Celebrate Tree of Life Shooter Conviction

Various Jewish groups celebrated the fact that Robert Bowers, the gunman behind the 2018 Tree of Life synagogue shooting in Pittsburgh, was convicted on 63 federal charges on Thursday.
[additional-authors]
June 19, 2023
Jeff Swensen / Getty Images

Various Jewish groups celebrated the fact that Robert Bowers, the gunman behind the 2018 Tree of Life synagogue shooting in Pittsburgh, was convicted on 63 federal charges on Thursday.

The charges included 11 counts of a hate crime act resulting in death and 11 charges of obstruction of free exercise of religious beliefs resulting in death; eleven Jews were murdered in the shooting. Bowers will face either the death penalty or life in prison.

Throughout the trial, Bowers’ defense team acknowledged that Bowers was in fact the shooter, but argued that Bowers’ motivation for the shooting wasn’t to murder Jews but to stop the nonprofit organization Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society (HIAS) from bringing immigrants into the country, who he viewed as “invaders,” per the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Prosecutors responded by arguing that Bowers “focused on any Jew he could find to kill or try to kill. You don’t have to conclude hatred of Jews was his only reason, just the determinative one.”

Tree of Life Rabbi Jeffrey Myers, a survivor of the shooting, said in a statement, “I am grateful to God for getting to this day. And I am thankful for the law enforcement who ran into danger to rescue me, and the U.S. Attorney who stood up in court to defend my right to pray. Today I’m focused on being with my congregation and praying, singing, and clapping in praise of God as we do each Shabbat. In the face of the horror our community has experienced, I can think of no better response than practicing my Jewish faith and leading worship.”

Jewish groups also celebrated the verdict.

“Justice has been served,” Anti-Defamation League (ADL) CEO Jonathan Greenblatt declared. “This attack was the deadliest act of antisemitic violence in American history — but the hate and conspiratorial thinking that fueled this violence has not gone away. We thank the jurors for their service, and we hope this brings closure to those who lost loved ones five years ago. We will continue to support the community during the sentencing phase of the trial, which is expected to begin in the near future. ADL vows to continue our work to stop hate and protect Jewish communities.”

American Jewish Committee CEO Ted Deutch tweeted, “Nearly five years ago, the single deadliest antisemitic attack on American Jews occurred at the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh. Today, justice was served with a verdict against the perpetrator. The 11 lives lost will never be forgotten.”

,The Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles said in a statement, “Today’s verdict against the perpetrator of the 2018 Pittsburgh synagogue attack, who murdered 11 congregants as they prayed, sends an emphatic message against hate. This remains the deadliest antisemitic attack in the history of our country. Our hearts go out to those who lost loved ones and to the entire Pittsburgh community. We will never stop fighting for justice and for the safety of our Jewish people.”

StandWithUs CEO and Co-Founder Roz Rothstein said in a statement, “No verdict for the Tree of Life synagogue murderer, even this one finding Bowers guilty on all charges, can ever compensate the victims or their families for the loss of their loved ones. That said, we hope the verdict will serve as a significant deterrent to anyone considering committing a deadly attack against Jews or others based on their religious or ethnic identity. We are grateful to everyone who gave their time and energy to ensure that justice has been served for this most vile antisemitic crime.”

World Jewish Congress President Ronald S. Lauder called the verdict a “vindication of the American system of justice. It is also an unmistakable reminder of Jew hatred and racial bigotry left unchecked.” “Society cannot remain complacent and only care about the lives of Jews after an atrocity has been committed,” he added. “We call on all federal, state, and municipal law enforcement agencies to take all necessary measures to protect synagogues and other Jewish institutions across the United States from any similar tragedy.

“In the memory of those lives lost, may a dark day never be repeated.”

Did you enjoy this article?
You'll love our roundtable.

Editor's Picks

Latest Articles

In the Shadow of Nova

Why are anti-Israel protesters on college campuses so agitated? An exhibit in New York City on the Oct. 7 massacre at the Nova festival shines a light on the confusion and madness of our times.

More news and opinions than at a
Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.