fbpx

Rabbis of LA | Rabbi Avi Taff: Teaching to Love Your Neighbor as Yourself

Rabbi Avi Taff didn’t want to feel comfortable.
[additional-authors]
December 15, 2022
Rabbi Avi Taff

Rabbi Avi Taff didn’t want to feel comfortable. Instead, he wanted to feel like he was doing something meaningful with his life. Something that could make a difference in the world. That’s why he decided to leave the United States, make aliyah when he was 24 years old and serve in the Israel Defense Forces. 

“I don’t believe in fighting or want to fight,” he said. “I went into the army because I felt it was my obligation.”

Taff always loved Israel and had many cousins in the country. They had served in the IDF, and he thought, “Why should I be any different? I should serve, too.”

During his time in the IDF, Taff worked at a checkpoint on the border of Israel and the Palestinian territories. His main job? To protect Palestinians who were facing harassment from fanatical Israelis on their way to work. 

“I remember the conversations we had,” he said. “They got so heated between my friends in the IDF on both sides. We were able to argue it out and ultimately try to bring some humanity into it. It’s my hope that when the children today get older, there won’t need to be a military. Maybe both sides will see each other’s humanity and come together.” 

Upon his return to Los Angeles, his hometown, Taff worked as director of the Special Needs Vocational Program at Camp Ramah in Ojai, California and then served as both associate rabbi and rabbi of the day school at Valley Beth Shalom for 13 years. This past July, he joined Sinai Temple, where he serves close to 1,400 families and works in the religious school and teen center. 

“Valley Beth Shalom is an incredibly warm community,” he said. “[At Sinai], I am inspired by the team of clergy, educators, professionals, lay leaders and members I now have the opportunity to build community with. Both [VBS and Sinai are] great places ultimately because of the great people who strive to build community together.”

Taff’s parents inspired him to work in the Jewish community. His mother currently serves as the head of school at Chicago Jewish Day School and his dad worked as a rabbi in Sacramento.

“They were very influential in terms of why I chose this route,” he said. 

Growing up, his house was joyful, and filled with lots of singing and people. His parents would emphasize tikkun olam; during the holiday season, they’d serve food to homeless people at the soup kitchen and sing to them. 

“They taught me that people have to see each other as human beings,” Taff said. “That’s it.”  

It was at Camp Ramah and United Synagogue Youth where the rabbi cemented his connection to Judaism, which taught him to always do good deeds.

“It’s our duty to make this world a more peaceful place,” he said. “When it comes to the hanukkiah (menorah), we have to be the shames (the lighting candle). We have to be the ones to bring light into this world.”

Working in Jewish education, Taff hopes to encourage the younger generations to connect to their Judaism, to God, and to one another.

“It’s all about feeling connected,” he said. “We need to see something greater than ourselves.”

The rabbi believes that Judaism can also bring about love and peace between people through one of its core teachings, “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 

“I saw an ad on a bus in Israel that said ‘Love your neighbor who is like yourself and love your neighbor who is not like yourself,’” he said. “I love that commentary. I’m doing this because I believe we can have an impact on the way our kids see the world.” 

His hope for the future? That everyone sees their potential to bring about change.

“If every single person in the world took it upon themselves to do actions to bring a more peaceful world, wouldn’t that be amazing?“ 

“Let’s come together and celebrate our differences and see each other as human beings,” he said. “If every single person in the world took it upon themselves to do actions to bring a more peaceful world, wouldn’t that be amazing? Our actions do matter. We can strive for godliness.”

Fast Takes with Avi Taff

Jewish Journal: What’s your favorite Jewish food?

Avi Taff: My wife’s brisket with some tahdig (crispy Persian rice).

JJ: How do you take your latkes?

AT: With applesauce, and done well. Crispy.

JJ: What’s your favorite Jewish holiday?

AT: It’s a tossup between Sukkot and Hanukkah. Sukkot is about inclusivity and recognizing the fragility of life. And with Hanukkah, I love the idea that in the darkest of days, we have the potential to bring light into the world.

Did you enjoy this article?
You'll love our roundtable.

Editor's Picks

Latest Articles

So Long, Democratic Party

The past eight years have been one slow death march of the Democratic Party’s abandonment of its Jewish voting bloc.

More news and opinions than at a
Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.