fbpx
Category

Community

Theater Notes

When the Jewish Women\’s Theatre Project askedSusan Merson to write its first commissioned play last year, theactress/writer recalled a bizarre TV news item.

California Imposes Sanctions Against Swiss Banks

Getting a jump on other states, California Treasurer Matt Fong ordered an immediate halt on all financial dealings with three major Swiss banks doing business in the United States.

Community

The JGSLA will host the 18th annual Seminar on Jewish Genealogy in Los Angeles, which begins this Sunday (July 12) and runs through July 17 at the Century Plaza Hotel.

The Great Gift of Giving

As I have traveled the communal philanthropic \”circuit\” this year, I have been moved to ponder who gets the most out of our enterprise: those who are receiving communal service or those who are volunteering their time and other resources to assure that those in need will benefit?

The Editor’s Corner

Reading about the Federation-sponsored 1997 Jewish Population Survey in last week\’s Journal, I realized once again just how much charts and graphs and statistical surveys resemble novels.

Coming to Our Census

For most of this century, Los Angeles has been a city of twoelites — one predominately WASPish, the other predominately Jewish. Although they occasionally collaborated on projects such as the MusicCenter, the two worlds remained largely separate and indifferent toeach other, living in a ruling-class version of institutional apartheid.

Cover Story

How long is summer in L.A.? Ask ussometime in late August, when the thermometer registers 90 atdaybreak, traffic stands still on PCH, and the kids prowl the housechanting \”Now what?\”

More news and opinions than at a
Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.