fbpx

Campus Watch Nov. 10, 2022

A roundup of incidents, good and bad, happening on college campuses.
[additional-authors]
November 10, 2022

Case Western Reserve University to Hold BDS Resolution Vote

Case Western Reserve University’s Undergraduate Student Government (USG) will be holding a vote on a boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) resolution on November 8.

The resolution, which was obtained by the Journal, calls for the university to divest from companies that “directly provide weaponry, security systems, prisons, or military support for the illegal occupation of the Palestinian territories” and “directly facilitate the building, maintenance, or economic development of illegal Israeli settlements, outposts, and settler-only roads and transportation systems on occupied Palestinian territory.” The resolution also accuses Israel of being an apartheid state.

USG Assembly Speaker Ethan Dreemer said in a statement to the Journal, “As a leader in student government, I have an obligation to represent my constituents who have expressed to me their overwhelming opposition to this boycott, divestment, and sanctions (BDS) bill. BDS is not a constructive solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and will do nothing except create a hostile environment for Jewish students on our campus at a time when antisemitism is sharply on the rise in America. Sadly, the authors of this resolution fail to recognize the full effect that their actions will have to the detriment of Jewish students on this campus. Instead of divesting, we need to work together to invest in the Israeli and Palestinian people to help lift up both communities instead of lifting up one community at the expense of the other. Our student government must reject this dangerous resolution. Instead, we need our student government to show support for the Jewish community more than ever.”

Anti-Israel Flyers at Northwestern University

Anti-Israel flyers were found at Northwestern University on November 3.

Stop Antisemitism tweeted out photos of the flyers on November 4; one photo showed a community posting board filled with flyers saying, “Long Live Palestinian Resistance,” “End the Siege on Jerusalem Now” and “Free Palestine.” Stop Antisemitism posted another photo showing a “Long Live Palestinian Resistance” flyer and another flyer saying “The UN predicted Gaza would be uninhabitable by 2020. It’s 2022” posted on a tree.

“Satanic Jews Control the World” Flyers at ASU

Stop Antisemitism also tweeted out a photo of a flyer found at Arizona State University’s (ASU) campus saying that “Satanic Jews control the world” and “Kanye is right.”

The flyer also showed “The Happy Merchant,” an antisemitic meme, with devil horns added. Stop Antisemitism tweeted to ASU President Michael Crow, “Your Jewish students deserve to feel safe on campus, this is truly horrifying.”

Former Tufts Admissions Employees Alleges “Culture of Antisemitism”

Former employees for Tufts University’s admissions office are claiming that there is a “culture of antisemitism” inside the university’s admissions office.

The employees spoke anonymously to Tufts Daily, alleging that Dean of Admissions Officer JT Duck called for more conservative Jewish applicants to be accepted, but did not specify whether or not he meant conservative from a religious or political perspective. The result, the former employees claimed, was “resentment toward Jewish applicants.”

The former employees also alleged that Duck gave promotions to staff members who had discrimination complaints lodged against them and that Duck frequently misgendered people and make wisecracks about pronouns. Duck told the Daily, “I have always sought to create an environment in which differences are respected and values of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are embraced, and I remain committed to doing so moving forward. As a manager, I fully support the right of individuals to raise their thoughts and concerns with me and to seek redress from the university’s established processes if they feel their concerns have gone unheard.”

Antisemitic Graffiti at CUNY

New York Governor Kathy Hochul, a Democrat, tweeted on October 31 that antisemitic and homophobic graffiti was found at the City University of New York’s (CUNY) Hostos Community College earlier that day.

She wrote that the graffiti targeted a staff member at the college; what the graffiti depicted was not specified. “Let me be clear: We will not tolerate hate in any form in New York,” Hochul wrote.

Dawson College Student Allegedly Wears Nazi Costume

A student at Dawn College in Montreal is alleged to have worn a Nazi costume during Halloween, MTL Blog reported.

Stop Antisemitism posted a photo of the student marching and appearing to give a Nazi salute while wearing a gas mask. The student claimed that the uniform was actually resembling an East German officer after World War II. The college said in a statement that “the actions of this student threatened many students’ fundamental sense of safety. Dawson College also strongly condemns antisemitism and discrimination in any form.”

Did you enjoy this article?
You'll love our roundtable.

Editor's Picks

Latest Articles

Ha Lachma Anya

This is the bread of affliction our ancestors ate in the land of Egypt

More news and opinions than at a
Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.