B’nai Mitzvah Checklist — what to do and when to do it
- Choose date and time for event (consult with synagogue and reception hall).
- Set budget.
- Book private tutor (optional).
- Book party planner (optional).
- Book photographer/videographer.
- Book entertainment (DJ/band) for reception.
- Estimate number of guests for event; begin guest list.
- Child begins learning and studying Torah portion.
- Choose theme for event (optional).
- Book caterer.
- Book florist for centerpieces and floral arrangements.
- Start shopping for invitations.
- Reserve tables, chairs and other rental equipment for event (unless already handled by caterer).
- Book block of hotel rooms for out-of-town guests (be sure t
- send out detailed hotel reservations, maps and other important information).
- Begin clothes shopping for event.
- Order or design sign-in board and guest book.
- Book baker (for cake, optional).
- Order/make party favors for guests.
- Order kippot (optional).
- Finalize guest list.
- Make final selections for clothing and accessories.
- Select and pick up invitations.
- Arrange transportation for you, your family and guests (as needed) for day of event.
- Mail invitations.
- Arrange parking for event (if needed).
- Arrange for special entertainment (e.g., dancers/vendors) (optional).
- Create desired song list for reception.
- Finalize seating arrangements by using table chart.
- Create placecards.
- Choose people to honor during event (either by calling them up to bimah for aliyot, to light candle at the candlelighting ceremony or any variation thereof).
- Write speeches. Also, prepare songs, poems or dances for event.
- Make hairstylist and manicure/pedicure appointments.
- Final fittings for clothing.
- Order food for Kiddush/oneg Shabbat held at synagogue.
- Give final head count to caterer/confirm setup instructions and menu items.
- Call guests wh
- have not R.S.V.P.’d to event to confirm final head count.
- Take formal pictures on bimah before event.
- Arrange to transport out-of-state guests from airport to the hotel.
- Confirm delivery locations, times and final arrangements with caterer, baker, location manager/host, florist, photographer, videographer, DJ/band, religious instructor and anyone else associated with event.
- Attend any previously scheduled beauty appointments (hair, nails, etc.).
Day Before Event
- Drop off favors, guest book and pen t
- event site.
- Confirm with those expected t
- give speeches.
- Get some sleep.
Day of Event
- Smile and enjoy.
- Make sure thank-you notes are written and sent.