fbpx
Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Local Israeli-Born Hotel Magnate on the Lure of ‘Luxe’ Roots

Enjoying this article?

You'll love our roundtable.

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Jewish Journal, 3250 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA, 90010, http://www.jewishjournal.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

Everybody loves an underdog success story, and local Jewish hotelier Efrem Harkham reveals his in his memoir, “Living the Luxe Life: The Secrets of Building a Successful Hotel Empire” (Skyhorse).

The 61-year-old is the founder and chairman of Luxe Hotels, a Los Angeles company that owns two local hotels and Luxe Worldwide Hotels, a management firm that oversees the operation of over 100 independently owned hotels. Born in Israel, Harkham and his family moved to Sydney when he was 12. There, he began his career in the fashion business at 17, working as a traveling salesman for Lulu, his older brother’s clothing manufacturing company, which eventually became a multimillion-dollar apparel brand. 

- Advertisement -

With the money he made by selling his share of the clothing business, Harkham settled in Los Angeles in 1978, where he worked in the fashion industry as CEO of Jonathan Martin clothing before moving into the hotel business. 

The Journal spoke with Harkham about his work, his ongoing connection to Israel and how talmudic teachings have impacted his life.

Jewish Journal: What was the motivation behind your transition from the fashion industry to the hospitality industry?

Efrem Harkham: After 14 years, I was tired and I felt I needed to transition into another industry. We were very successful with the Jonathan Martin brand and had billboard campaigns and TV commercials all over the country. I owned a hotel (bought in 1983) at the time called The Bel Air Sands on Sunset, now known as the Luxe Hotel Bel Air, and I was frustrated by the management company running the hotel, so I jumped into the task of managing it myself in 1999. I stood there at the front desk for almost an entire year and learned so much. I decided to make this my passion and full-time job. It was my calling.

JJ: How did you come up with the Luxe brand name?

- Advertisement -

EH: My friend Neil Muller, who had helped me with the Jonathan Martin clothing line, came up with the name. I told him that I needed a four-letter word that is both memorable and guarantees a promise of quality and that I can put in front of an existing name. Lo and behold, the word Luxe was not known back then and it was the first one on his list of 20 names. I totally loved it.

JJ: Are you still very connected to Israel?

EH: It is a commandment that we stay connected to Israel. I host a trip there every year in November. I prefer to bring non-Jews ranging from Catholics [and] Hindus to Hispanic people. I try to expose Israel in the best light possible. They have the most incredible time. One of my favorite stories in the book is when I visited (then Israeli Prime Minister) Menachem Begin in 1982 and I offered to do a PR campaign for Israel at the expense of a few members of the community in north Beverly Hills. He very kindly refused and said, “If you really care about Israel, like it sounds you do, please give this money to AIPAC and to make sure that the Jewish community outside Israel must not lose their connection with Israel.” This is what started my interest and commitment to honor Jewish education in my community.

JJ: Has success changed you over the last 30 years?

EH: I realized that outwardly nothing has changed. The change is inward and learning to be the best human being possible. I am constantly striving to do good and not to waste opportunities [to help] people. Kids and family are so important. I use my hotels to deliver that message, I suppose, and that’s why I love hotels.

- Advertisement -

JJ: What was the motivation behind writing the book?

EH: I thought it was time for me to come out and talk about my story. I am so interested in other people’s stories and their success. I think mine is a little bit complicated. When I turned 60, I felt it was time to do it and share my experiences for my children, for the next generation of young business people, in order to make this place better.

JJ: What is your philosophy on business and life?

EH: Not to wait for success to happen. Make it happen as soon as possible. You have to be resilient and whatever the issue, just take the obstacles as a learning opportunity and overcome. All my life, I hired people smarter than myself. I maintain my relationships and hold on to people. Most of my employees at the Luxe Hotel Sunset have been working there for 30 years. When you light a candle with the light of another candle, the result is more light. It doesn’t take away from the original source, and that’s what I want to do. I want to inspire others in my work and also my community.

JJ: You write in the book about how you bring talmudic teaching into your business strategy. Can you expand on that? 

EH: We have a training program that is based on a talmudic teaching that I love. I started learning the Talmud with a number of rabbis when my kids were born. This is how I came across this concept that everyone is a world, everyone is a life. We can’t destroy the world. We’ve got to preserve and take care of the world, make it better. So that is the program I give my employees. We tell them about quality control.

JJ: Do you have plans to slow down a little, perhaps retire?

EH: This is the first chapter of my life. The Talmud says you must keep on working as long as you are productive and we must move forward. So I am following that rule.

JJ: What advice do you have for those wanting to break into the hotel industry today? 

EH: To be ready for a 24/7, 365-days-a-year job. It’s hosting endlessly. It does not stop. It is impossible to be there for your guests all the time, so the idea is to replace yourself impeccably. So when I am not there, my employees are the ambassadors. They are the ones with the empathy for the millennials, for the older guests and the children. You need to have patience and not expect a return right away. It’s about taking care of people, and that’s how you get repeat customers. n 

- Advertisement -

Enjoyed this article?

You'll love our email updates.

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Jewish Journal, 3250 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA, 90010, http://www.jewishjournal.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact
- Advertisement -

Popular Articles

Ripple Effect: Insanity

My daughter and I started doing a daily workout routine called Insanity. I cannot think of anything more appropriate for this crazy time than doing...

Community Leaders: Passover Insights During a Pandemic

Why is this Passover different from all other Passovers? No one really needs to ask. Our Passover plans have been totally upended. We’re worried about...

Supreme Court Declines to Hear Jewish Death Row Inmate Who Says Judge Was Anti-Semitic

He says judge who sentenced him referred to him using anti-Semitic slurs.

Is Coronavirus Really “Dismantling the Ultra-Orthodox Model?” Questions and Comments

This is a crisis in Charedi society — a crisis that is shaking the foundations of the entire Charedi society.

Israel National Security Adviser Believes Coronavirus Infection Rate May Be ‘Slowing Down,’ Report Says

Israeli National Security Adviser Meir Ben-Shabbat reportedly said on April 2 that the country’s coronavirus infection rate is starting to decline. The Times of Israel...

Coronavirus Cinema: Where to Watch Free Movies and Series at Home

Although movie theaters are closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, digital screening rooms are open for business, offering the self-isolating public new and catalog...

Volunteers Distribute Matzah to Police in Israeli Orthodox City Bnei Brak in Gesture of Appreciation

The Haredi neighborhood, which has been gravely affected by COVID-19, is in a police enforced-lockdown.

Pesach: Unbreakable Soul

On the first night of Nissan, we start counting until the moon is full on the 15th of the month. This is seder night,...

Nazi-looted Picasso Drawing to Be Returned to German-Jew

The National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C., will return a drawing by Pablo Picasso to the heirs of a German-Jewish banker who sold...

In The Sea of Uncertainty

This Pesach, we tremble at the preciousness of life so we don't want to cause harm. This quaking in our bodies is an outgrowth of love. The Israelites felt...

‘On the Map’ Free Online Screening and Q&A This Sunday

The documentary “On the Map” tells the story of the underdog Israeli basketball team’s triumphant victory at the European championship in 1977. Set against...

Rabbi Donin’s Trilogy Speaks Volumes About Jewish Life

Donin himself conceived of his work as “a practical handbook on how to live a Jewish life,” but he also acknowledges that the overarching goal of the three books in the series is “to answer the constant query, ‘Why?’

Meet The Orthodox Jewish Mom Who Became LA’s Go-To Jewish Artist

Los Angeles artist Aliza Marton was raised in an artistic family. But after she got married, she focused on raising her own family and...

After 60 Years, Canada’s Leading Jewish Newspaper to Close Amid Coronavirus Crisis

MONTREAL (JTA) — Canada’s flagship national Jewish newspaper of record, the Canadian Jewish News, became a coronavirus casualty after it announced that its April...

Israeli Health Minister Yaakov Litzman Tests Positive for Coronavirus, Sending Netanyahu Back to Quarantine

JERUSALEM (JTA) — Israel’s Health Minister Yaakov Litzman has been diagnosed with the coronavirus. The announcement that Litzman and his wife tested positive for the...

Culture

Idina Menzel, Ben Platt, Rabbis David Wolpe, Sharon Brous and More Invite You to a Virtual Seder

It would have been enough to vicariously see our favorite Broadway and Hollywood stars celebrating Passover on social media, but now fans will get...

Recipes for Mimouna, The Moroccan Celebration of Spring

The mimouna table overflows with sweet treats like orange jam, eggplant jam, marzipan, meringues and, of course, the famous moufleta, crepes served with butter and honey.

Rabbi Donin’s Trilogy Speaks Volumes About Jewish Life

Donin himself conceived of his work as “a practical handbook on how to live a Jewish life,” but he also acknowledges that the overarching goal of the three books in the series is “to answer the constant query, ‘Why?’

Gloves, Masks, Curbsides: Passover Shopping During a Pandemic

Passover shopping is hectic enough in normal times.

Jews Are Celebrating Passover – Hospitalized with COVID-19, Or Not

Even with abnormal hospital restrictions, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center is ensuring Jews can still have a seder.

Trending
Trending

Life Social Distancing in Les Baux

Well, it’s a fine day here in Les Baux and yeah, yeah, yeah, ok enough of the Garrison Keiler talk because something huge has...

First Plane Bringing Vital Medical Supplies to Israel from China Touches Down

El Al flights will land at a rate of two per day until all 20 tons of medical equipment, including 900,000 surgical masks, 500,00 protective suits and several ventilators, have been delivered.

BDS Founder Says It’s OK to Use Israeli Coronavirus Vaccine

Omar Barghouti, the founder of the boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) movement, said in an April 5 Facebook livestream that it’s perfectly fine for...

Ripple Effect: All the Nots

My family is not doing puzzles together. A friend commented that we didn’t do puzzles before the COVID-19 pandemic, so why the hell did I...

Gloves, Masks, Curbsides: Passover Shopping During a Pandemic

Passover shopping is hectic enough in normal times.

Hollywood

Larry David Says Bernie Sanders Should Drop Out of Presidential Race

Larry David, the Bernie Sanders doppelganger who often portrays the presidential candidate in skits on “Saturday Night Live,” says the senator from Vermont should...

‘On the Map’ Free Online Screening and Q&A This Sunday

The documentary “On the Map” tells the story of the underdog Israeli basketball team’s triumphant victory at the European championship in 1977. Set against...

‘Frozen’ at the Pantages: It Doesn’t Have to Be Jewish

Let’s face it, there’s nothing particularly Jewish about the Disney musical “Frozen.” Unless you count Idina Menzel and Josh Gad, both of whom appeared...
- Advertisement -

Podcasts

Pandemic Times Episode 17: The Curse of Being Right

New David Suissa Podcast Every Morning at 11am. As the pandemic times intersect with Passover, a reflection on how we can use this time to...

Pandemic Times Episode 16: Food author Paula Shoyer on cooking during a pandemic

New David Suissa Podcast Every Morning at 11am. Celebrated food author Paula Shoyer discusses how the pandemic is influencing how we view food, and shares her...

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

x