fbpx

Venice High Senior on Being a Volleyball Champ and Proud Jew

Avia Yosef, 17, originally joined the volleyball team during her freshman year at Venice High School because she thought it would be a fun extracurricular activity that would teach her teamwork and leadership.
[additional-authors]
November 24, 2021
Avia Yosef

Avia Yosef, 17, originally joined the volleyball team during her freshman year at Venice High School because she thought it would be a fun extracurricular activity that would teach her teamwork and leadership. 

Now a senior, it’s turned out to be so much more. She’s part of a team that defeated Palisades Charter High School, which previously had a winning streak of 130 consecutive Western League victories. Additionally, the team was the first in the school’s history to win a City Section upper division volleyball championship against Granada Hills, a six-time champion, and they’re going to the state finals.

“I was fortunate to play with these girls,” said Yosef. “Our coach, Raul Aviles, was really amazing with teaching us everything we know to this day.” 

There are 17 girls on the team, some who had never played before they joined in ninth grade. Yosef is one of two Jews on the team. “Volleyball keeps me healthy and fit on a daily basis,” she said. “It also helps my mental health, because for two or three hours of practice, I get to forget about everything.”

During game season, Yosef and her teammates would practice every day of the week. This year, her position is opposite, and in her sophomore year, she was captain of the team, which fans can follow on Instagram through their @venicevolleyball account.  

The girls wouldn’t let anything stop them from continuing to improve – even COVID. During the worst times of the pandemic, they played in front of the school while wearing masks. They’d have to get regular COVID testing done as well. 

“It wasn’t the same until we got back into the gym and were able to get our groove back,” said Yosef. “We were fortunate enough to get back in July, which is when we started our summer training.”

Along with playing on the volleyball team, Yosef started a Jewish culture club at her school, where they have meetings and participate in activities like learning about the importance of Shabbat.

Along with playing on the volleyball team, Yosef started a Jewish culture club at her school, where they have meetings and participate in activities like learning about the importance of Shabbat, eating challah bread and hummus and bringing in guest speakers. So far, 12 members have joined. 

“I wanted to have a safe community for those who are Jewish to go to,” she said. “Going to a public school, there aren’t a lot of other Jewish kids, so it’s good to have a little community.” 

Yosef is also part of Jewish Big Brothers Big Sisters of Los Angeles, where she’s had a “big sister” for three years. Together, they roller skate, have picnics and go to the beach. “It’s a great support system and I have things in common with her,” she said. “It’s like having a big sibling. You can feel comfortable telling them anything. You know you have an older influence.” 

Since Yosef’s father is Israeli, she’s been to Israel five times to visit family and tour the country. “I absolutely love it there, aside from the crazy hot weather,” she said. “I don’t speak Hebrew, but I love to connect with a whole different culture and feel a part of it. I just feel very welcome there.” 

Next year, Yosef plans to go to college. Right now, she’s in the World Languages and Global Studies magnet at Venice, but she plans to major in psychology, nursing or STEM. No matter what she ends up doing, she can use the valuable lessons she’s learned from volleyball to guide her.

“Volleyball teaches you how to stay motivated and keep persevering,” she said. “Even if you hit the ball into the net a bunch of different times, you just learn how to make strategic decisions really fast and adjust quickly. You have to keep striving to do better.”

Did you enjoy this article?
You'll love our roundtable.

Editor's Picks

Latest Articles

More news and opinions than at a
Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.