Happy Birthday, USA! Sweet dreams with the Shema
Happy Birthday U.S.A.!
We celebrate the 232nd birthday of the United States of America on July 4. Between noshing on barbecue and watching fireworks, test how well you know early American history. Circle the right answer for the following questions but read carefully — some might be a bit tricky.
- Jamestown, the first English colony in America, was located here: Virginia or New York
- The stripes on the American Flag represent the signers of the Declaration of Independence: True or False
- The national anthem of the United States: “America the Beautiful” or “The Star-Spangled Banner”
- The first president of the United States is the man on: the $1 bill or the $5 bill
- The war fought for American Independence from Britain was the: Civil War or Revolutionary War
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for answers
“You shall say these words … when you lie down and when you rise.” “The Bedtime Sh’ma: A Goodnight Book,” adapted by Sarah Gershman, combines illustrations with a sweet, gender-neutral translation of the bedtime “Shema” (excerpts from the full text are in Hebrew and English in the back of the book). The prayer teaches children to give thanks for all the blessings in their lives.
The CD version includes musical selections from the “Shema” and gives children a chance to hear the prayers as they drift off to dreamland. Goodnight dreamers everywhere! $17.95 (hardcover), $10.95 (paperback), $10.95 (CD). Available in stores and at online retailers.