Netanyahu, Peres condemn lynch incident


Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu condemned the attack by Jewish teens on three Palestinians in the center of Jerusalem.

“In the state of Israel, we are not prepared to tolerate racism; neither are we prepared to tolerate the combination of racism and violence,” Netanyahu said Tuesday as he signed signed a document to encourage the absorption and integration of Ethiopian Jews in Israeli society and economy, and to prevent discrimination and racism.

Netanyahu said he was following the medical progress of the victims of the Aug. 16 assault.

“This is something that we cannot accept – not as Jews, not as Israelis. This is not our way; this goes against our way, and we condemn it in word and deed. We will quickly bring to justice those responsible for this reprehensible incident,” he said. “We will be persistent in our complete opposition to racism and violence.”

Also Tuesday, Israeli President Shimon Peres said during a visit to an Israeli-Arab town in the northern Galilee that he was “ashamed” by the attack.  He called for new efforts to be made to bring Arab and Jewish youth together.

Hundreds of people, including a police officer, watched the Aug. 16 assault but did not intervene, according to reports. Some two dozen Jewish teens were involved in the attack, egged on by a female Jewish teen, police said.

Nine Jewish teens have been arrested so far in the incident.

The attack has been condemned by Arab and Jewish organizations in Israel and around the world.

Jewish youth accused of attacking Arabs in Jerusalem


Police are investigating an attack on three Arab youth, believed to be perpetrated by dozens of Jewish youth, near Jerusalem’s Zion Square.

The attack Thursday night is being described in the Israeli media as a “lynch situation” by eyewitnesses.

“When one of the Arab teenagers fell to the floor, the teenagers continued to hit him in the head, he lost consciousness, his eyes rolled, his angled head twitched, and then those who were kicking him fled and the rest gathered in a circle around, with some still shouting with hate in their eyes,” an eyewitness wrote on Facebook, according to The Jerusalem Post.

The youths, reportedly between the ages of 15-20, allegedly shouted “Death to the Arabs” and other racial slurs.

The Jewish teenagers apparently attacked the group of Arabs without provocation, saying previously that they “wanted to beat up an Arab,” the unnamed eyewitness also reportedly wrote.

Amir Edri, a Magen David Adom paramedic from their intensive care division said that after 10 minutes of intensive CPR, the victim of “about 20 years old” was transferred to Hadassah University Hospital in Ein Karem, reported The Jerusalem Post.

On Friday he was reportedly still on a respirator but was not seen at that point as having lasting brain damage, Edri told the media.

Jerusalem police spokesman Shmuel Ben Ruby said police are checking into the background of the story and that a special team has been appointed to investigate the incident.

“The area is under video surveillance we are checking the cameras,” Ben Ruby said, reported Israeli media. “We will know what happened after we check the cameras.”


Follow the Jewish Journal on Twitter: