Latest rocket barrages from Gaza mean life ‘does not go on as normal’


The worst Palestinian rocket barrages from the Gaza Strip so far this year saw more than 147 rockets fired into major southern Israeli cities, with the wail of sirens and sudden explosions jolting residents, sometimes several times an hour.

During the period of March 9-11, there were 22 Israeli civilians injured. Authorities in communities in a seven-to-40-kilometer (22-mile) radius from Gaza canceled all schooling on Sunday and Monday due to a lack of sufficient bomb shelters. Closer-in towns reinforced schools and public areas, enabling studies to continue.

The feeling of Gaza rockets is all too familiar for southern Israel. For the 200,000 residents of Be’er Sheva, life “does not go on as normal,” Deputy Mayor Dr. Heftzi Zohar told JointMedia News Service.

While the “queen of the Negev” was not totally closed for business due to the latest rockets, “Most of the time commercial centers are empty, but this is our regular life these days, unfortunately,” Zohar said.

This round of rocket strikes began when an IDF aircraft on March 9 killed Popular Resistance Committee (PRC) chief Zuhair al-Qaissi, along with two other members traveling in his car in Gaza City. The Popular Resistance Committee is a militant group in Gaza aligned with Hamas that was behind the abduction of Gilad Shalit, the Israeli soldier who was held captive for more than five years and freed in a prisoner swap for more than 1,000 Palestinians.

The IDF said the group was about to carry out “a combined terror attack on the Israel-Egypt border,” and closed a road that was hit in a similar attack last August in which eight Israelis were killed. 



The army said that thanks to “reinforcement of forces and observation abilities, Route 12 was reopened for traffic during February,” but “that the road is being closed temporarily, in light of situation assessments meant to keep the citizens of Israel safe.”



The pro-Hamas PRC vowed that it would keep carrying out revenge attacks. “We are not committed anymore to the truce with the occupation (Israel). We will teach the occupation a lesson for its ongoing crimes,” PRC spokesman Abu Mujahid told reporters.

Defense Minister Ehud Barak said during a visit to an Iron Dome missile defense battery that, “This current round [of hostilities] in the Strip is far from over, and we must remain vigilant and alert in the face of a potential terror attack from the Sinai.”

Barak said in a statement to reporters that Israel would “act against anyone who attempts to send rockets or perpetrate terror attacks. Anyone attempting such an attack will pay the full price.” Israeli Air Force strikes to quell the salvos killed at least 15 Palestinian terrorists since March 9.

While the Iron Dome anti-missile system successfully downed 43 Grad rockets in 52 attempts, residents in Be’er Sheva, coastal Ashkelon and Ashdod faced sleepless nights during the recent round of attacks, punctuated with numerous trips to bomb shelters and fortified structures.

Sara Shomron of the village of Nitzan, halfway between Ashdod and Ashkelon, was forced—along with her children—to seek shelter in their home’s built-in bomb shelter no less than six times on Friday and Saturday. Nitzan’s more than 500 residents are evacuees, pulled out of from Gaza in 2005. Many of them are still living in temporary housing and had to seek shelter in giant sewer pipes set at numerous locations throughout the village, Shomron told JointMedia News Service.

Over the weekend, Shomron said she “was out walking one of our dogs when the siren went off and I quickly made haste to a house that’s under construction and went into its bomb shelter.”

“It was only partially completed but I figured that it was better than doing nothing because many people would not welcome the dog, and it wasn’t the time to find out who will and who won’t,” she said.

Shomron said that while she and her children were calm, children of her friends “are afraid to take showers; they’re afraid they’ll be in the shower when the siren goes off… all of a sudden you have teenagers who are wetting their beds.”

In Ashdod, Terri Millstone told JointMedia News Service the city’s shuk (open-air market) of independent vendors could not open Saturday, lamenting that the vendors “do this to help feed their families.”

Authorities are concerned that cities like Ashdod are just another stepping stone for Hamas to reach bigger targets. A senior police official said he was concerned that the salvos may soon be aimed at even more central areas, including Tel Aviv.

“The question now is, are they planning to launch them deep into Israeli territory or not?” the official told Maariv. “We are preparing for all scenarios, and three of our fronts are on full alert: Tel Aviv, Central Israel, and Jerusalem. The cities of Bat Yam, Holon, Rishon LeZion, Ness Ziona, Rehovot, and Beit Shemesh are also being prepared,” he added. 



U.S. State Department Spokesperson Victoria Nuland said Saturday that the U.S is “deeply concerned by the renewal of violence in southern Israel,” adding that her country condemned “in the strongest terms the rocket fire from Gaza by terrorists into southern Israel in recent days, which has dramatically and dangerously escalated in the past day. We call on those responsible to take immediate action to stop these cowardly acts.”

Gaza Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh said on Sunday in Cairo that Egypt is “working around the clock” with Palestinian factions, in talks which he claimed are aimed at halting attacks against Israel. However, Islamic Jihad said it was not involved in the truce discussions. “Should the Israeli aggression continue and there will be more victims—there will be no room for talks on a ceasefire,” said the group’s spokesman, Daud Shihab.

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu on Sunday said Israel is still bracing for a terror attack along the Egyptian border. “We are still on alert for a terror attack from there, and I have ordered the closure of the road along the Egyptian border,” he said at the opening of his weekly cabinet session.

“The Iron Dome system has proven itself very well, and we will, of course, see to its expansion in the months and years ahead,” Netanyahu said.

Israeli raid kills 3 Gazans, rockets fired at Israel


Violence has flared up between Israel and Gaza, with the Israeli air force killing three Palestinians and militants firing rockets deep across the border.

The latest fighting erupted on Thursday when an air strike on a car killed two militants, one of them from Gaza’s governing Islamist group Hamas, whom Israel accused of planning to send gunmen to attack it through the neighboring Sinai region of Egypt.

Palestinian militants answered Thursday’s air strike with a barrage of rockets, some of which landed near Beersheba, a city 35 km (30 miles) from Gaza. No one was hurt. Air-raid sirens summoned residents of southern Israel to shelters.

Another Israeli air strike followed before dawn on Friday, hitting a Hamas training camp in Gaza City. The blast flattened a nearby home, killing its owner and wounding his wife and six of their children, two critically, hospital officials said.

In a statement voicing regret for the civilian casualties, the military said Palestinian rockets stored next to the camp had stoked the explosion. Hamas accused Israel of a “massacre”.

“We are pursuing intensive contacts with several Arab and international parties, and we stress the necessity of this aggression being stopped immediately,” Ismail Haniyeh, head of the Hamas administration in Gaza, told reporters.

Hamas spurns peacemaking with the Jewish state but has in the past proposed truces as it sought to consolidate control over Gaza and negotiate power-sharing with the rival, U.S.-backed Fatah faction of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.

Instability has spread in Sinai as Cairo struggles to restore order after the fall of Hosni Mubarak in February.

Armed infiltrators killed eight Israelis on the border with Sinai in August. Israeli troops repelling the gunmen killed five Egyptian police, triggering outrage in Cairo that spilled over into the mobbing of Israel’s embassy a month later.

Israel apologized for the Egyptian deaths and Egypt’s interim military rulers vowed to mount security sweeps of Sinai.

Hamas’s standing has grown with the political rise of the kindred Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood, formerly a suppressed though popular opposition group. Israel worries about the prospects for its landmark 1979 peace accord with Egypt, which secured the demilitarization of the Sinai.

“The State of Israel is in a bind,” defense analyst Alex Fishman wrote in the biggest-selling Israeli newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth.

“It can’t operate in Sinai in order to defend its sovereignty for fear of its relations with Egypt … and because it can’t beat the donkey, it beats the saddle—and Gaza suffers the blows.”

Some of the Palestinian rockets fired on Thursday and Friday were claimed by a Fatah-linked militia that lost one of its leaders, Essam Al-Batsh, in Israel’s air strike.

Israel said he had also been involved in a 2007 suicide bombing that killed three people in Eilat, a Red Sea port abutting Egypt. The Eilat area went on security alert this week, with the military citing fear of infiltration from Sinai.

Hamas had no comment on the rockets. It has kept out of some of the recent fighting in Gaza, much of which has been between Israel and Islamic Jihad, a different Palestinian armed faction.

The chief of Israel’s military, Lieutenant-General Benny Gantz, told parliament last month a new Israeli offensive in Gaza could be “drawing close” because of the rocket threat.

That stirred speculation that Israel, which launched a devastating war on Hamas in 2008-2009, might mobilize for a similar assault ahead of the possible installation of a new Islamist-led government in Egypt.

Giora Eiland, a former Israeli national security adviser, warned that could backfire by providing an electoral boost to the Muslim Brotherhood and Egypt’s ultra-conservative Salafis.

“An operation in Gaza is liable to play into their hands, with a kind of acceleration of political processes that you don’t want,” Eiland told Israel Radio.

Writing by Dan Williams; Additional reporting by Ari Rabinovitch; Editing by Matthew Jones

IDF strikes kill nine in Gaza as barrage of mortars hits Israel


Israeli air strikes in the Gaza Strip killed four Hamas militants and five Palestinian civilians on Friday as a fresh spike in cross-border violence continued for a second day.

The Israel Defense Forces said it had “identified two terrorist squads from Hamas” and hit them from the ground and air.

An elderly Palestinian and two women died when their house in Khan Younis was hit and three other women were wounded, hospital sources said.

Following the IDF attack in Gaza, a barrage of rockets and mortar shells was fired at Israeli towns near the Gaza Strip, and one of the shells exploded in a chicken coop in the Eshkol Regional Council in the Negev.

Read more at Haaretz.com.