Bunker buster bomb ready, says Air Force Secretary Donley
The U.S.Air Force’s bunker buster is ready for use, according to the Air Force secretary.
The 30,000-pound Massive Ordnance Penetrator, which is designed to destroy deeply buried bunkers that protect chemical, biological and nuclear weapons, is ready to be used, Michael Donley told the Capitol Hill Club Wednesday, Air Force Times reported.
“If it needed to go today, we would be ready to do that,” he reportedly said. “We continue to do testing on the bomb to refine its capabilities, and that is ongoing. We also have the capability to go with existing configuration today.”
Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, who is scheduled to visit Israel next week, had said said earlier this year that the bunker buster was not yet developed enough to be used in Iran. The Iranian nuclear installations that Israel is widely reported considering bombing to halt Tehran’s nuclear program are buried deep under the ground across the country.