fbpx

Wildlife Waystation: Help is Needed to “Till and Tend”

[additional-authors]
December 23, 2011

Located in the Angeles National Forest, north of the San Fernando Valley, exists a refuge and sanctuary for animals that are very vulnerable.  These animals really have no other place to go, and it is the ” title=”Wildlife Waystation” target=”_blank”>Wildlife Waystation has provided aid and support to more than 75,000 wild and exotic animals from all over the world, and has 400 plus animals at any given time. 

The current recession have caused donations to drop 50%, which is their worst financial situation in 35 years.  Colette states, “Frankly we are open to any and all suggestions including a merger with a like-minded animal organization.” However, donations of any size are what are needed now to keep the sanctuary operating.  Martine feels that they have a dire need for a fund raising consultant firm for non-profits, and a business law firm that would take them on pro-bono.  People can sponsor an animal, contribute to a food bill or just make a general donation. If there is a company or companies that would be willing to help cover the electrical bills, or the meat bills, trash bills, drug bills, it would be easier for them to focus more on the everyday expenses.  “The most important thing is that the Waystation must survive,” says Colette.

Even though most of the animals brought to the Waystation had been badly abused, I could see that they were still open to receiving love and care from a human being. Colette would approach their cages, and when the animals would greet her, you could see that they felt safe and trusted her.  They love her.  It also helped that she was passing out Red Vines and chestnuts.  The wolves happily greeted her with wagging tails, and were excited to get their Red Vines.  The chimps loved the chestnuts, and were really good at catching them as she tossed them.  When I approached the black bears, they were eating marshmallows, which are one of my own personal favorites.

I know that during our nation’s economic crisis, some people may have no interest in donating to a cause that is for animals, and would much rather donate to an organization that helps human beings, but I believe it is important to not forget our sacred animals.  Animals are understood to not only have feelings, but to be capable of developing spiritually.  The Talmud says that “Just as the righteous were devout, so were their animals.”  I believe with all my heart that animals have souls, and deserve the same love and saving as fellow human beings.  Judaism has always recognized the link between the way a person treats animals and the way a person treats human beings.  There is even a traditional story, which says that Moses was chosen for his mission because of his skill in caring for animals. “The Holy One, Blessed Be He, said ‘Since you are merciful to the flock of a human being, you shall be the shepherd of My flock, Israel.’”  I believe that helping with the survival of the Wildlife Waystation is a great way to “till and tend” G-d’s creation. 

You can learn more about the Wildlife Waystation at

Did you enjoy this article?
You'll love our roundtable.

Editor's Picks

Latest Articles

Print Issue: Got College? | Mar 29, 2024

With the alarming rise in antisemitism across many college campuses, choosing where to apply has become more complicated for Jewish high school seniors. Some are even looking at Israel.

More news and opinions than at a
Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.

More news and opinions than at a Shabbat dinner, right in your inbox.